This week saw the release of a number of smartphones that might finally put an end to the era of the notch. The first was the OnePlus 7 Pro, a more expensive offering from the Chinese company that could convince traditional flagship users to jump ship. It features a beautiful 90Hz display, a pop-up camera, and new software features like the questionable Zen Mode. The company’s cheaper OnePlus 7 device isn’t coming for a few weeks, but it may be more in line with what OnePlus fans expected.
The Realme X uses the same pop-up camera mechanism as the OnePlus 7 Pro, which is no surprise given that they come from the same parent company, BKK. However, its mid-range specs bring it down to an incredibly low price point. It’s currently only available in China, but it will soon make its way to India and parts of Europe. Not bad for a brand that’s only been around for a year.
The third big phone announcement this week was the Asus Zenfone 6. It features a novel swinging camera that you’ve got to see to believe. This allows the phone to do things like motion tracking and landscape photography without having to move the entire phone. It has a lot going for it: the camera is excellent, the software is much improved, and it has a 5,000mAh battery and a headphone jack. All that for just $499/499 euro.
Here are the top 10 Android stories of the week
- OnePlus 7 Pro review: Bigger and brighter, but is it better? — It packs an immersive 90Hz display and a new triple-camera system, but trades battery life to make it happen.
- Asus Zenfone 6 hands-on: $499, stock Android+, and a motorized flip camera! — The motorized flip camera system ensures you’re always using the best camera on your phone.
- Realme X hands-on: Ten out of ten? — Does Realme’s highest-spec phone to date have the X-factor?
- Here’s how the 90Hz screen affects battery life on the OnePlus 7 Pro — There’s a price to pay for that beautiful display.
- First Zenfone 6 camera samples are here (vs P30 Pro) — The Asus Zenfone 6 camera stands out with its motorized flip system, but does it take good photos?
- Google Pixel 3a review: The phone made for everyone — Is the Pixel 3a worth $399? Find out in our full review!
- OnePlus 7 Pro might finally make me ditch Google phones — After seven long years, I may have found the phone that makes me abandon Google.
- OnePlus 7 Pro vs OnePlus 6T vs OnePlus 6: What are you getting for $120 more? — Are the updates OnePlus is offering worth the jump?
- Realme 3 Pro vs Realme 2 Pro: A worthy upgrade? — With such a short turnaround between iterations, is the latest from Realme a worthy upgrade?
- Will anyone actually use Zen Mode on OnePlus devices? — Zen Mode seems drastic, especially when you consider OnePlus already offers a much more elegant solution.
Learn more on the Android Authority Podcast
On this week’s edition of the podcast we are joined by executive editor of SoundGuys.com, Chris Thomas, to talk about Google’s questionable reason for including a headphone jack in the Pixel 3a and the release of the OnePlus 7 Pro. Listen to the whole episode below!
Want to receive the weekly podcast on your device? Subscribe using your favorite player below!
Google Podcasts – iTunes – Pocket Casts
Who wants to win a OnePlus 7 Pro?
This week, we’re giving away a brand new OnePlus 7 Pro. Enter this week’s Sunday giveaway for your chance to win!
Don’t miss these videos
That’s it, folks! We’ll have another giveaway and more top Android stories for you next week. To stay up to date on all things Android Authority in the meantime, be sure to subscribe to our newsletters at the link below.
Powered by WPeMatico