Network carriers are often the first stop if you’re looking to get the latest flagship phone since they’re priced at manageable monthly rates compared to the exorbitant amount you’d pay otherwise. Of course, this route usually involves being locked into 24-month contracts. If you’ve passed the two-year mark or are looking to switch networks but want to keep the phone, you’ll have to get it unlocked. Luckily, U.K. networks like EE have made quite easy to do this. Here’s how to unlock your EE phone!
Don’t miss: Picking the best U.K. mobile network | Best phones under £500 in the U.K.
Can any EE phone be unlocked?
The simple answer is yes. There are conditions though, depending on the device you have and the type of plan you have signed up for. In fact, some devices will automatically be unlocked after some time.
- Any iPhone sold by EE will automatically be unlocked after 18 months. You can check whether the iPhone is unlocked by texting UNLOCK to 150.
- All generations of the Google Pixel series will be unlocked after 721 days, so just shy of the end of a two-year contract.
- All other devices will need an unlock code from EE.
Keep in mind that devices connected to corporate accounts cannot be unlocked. You will have to contact the account manager to raise an unlock request.
How much does it cost to unlock an EE phone?
The cost of unlocking your EE phone depends on a couple of factors — the type of plan you have subscribed to and whether you are still in or out of the contract.
- Pay monthly phone: £8.99 in contract or free if out of contract.
- Pay as you go or Flex: If you bought the phone directly from EE, you can get it unlocked for free. If not, it is £8.99.
- Second-hand phones: If you’ve bought a phone that is locked to EE from stores like eBay, Gumtree, or if someone gives you one, it will cost you £8.99 to unlock it.
- EE small business phone: £8.99 in contract or free if out of contract.
How long does it take to unlock the phone?
- If you have an Apple device and are on a pay monthly plan, you can unlock the phone instantly.
- Most other devices will be unlocked in up to a maximum of 72 hours.
- In some cases, EE may have to get an unlock code from the device manufacturer. If that happens, it may take up to 10 days to get the phone unlocked. You will be notified if it takes longer than 72 hours.
How to unlock your EE phone
Pay monthly plans
- There are certain conditions you will have to meet to unlock your pay monthly phone if you are still in contract.
- Be the EE account holder for the device.
- You will need to have had the phone for at least six months.
- Make sure that your bill payments are up to date.
- The device isn’t reported lost or stolen.
- To unlock a pay monthly iPhone:
- Log in to My EE.
- Go to Menu > Manage Devices.
- Choose the Device tools tab.
- Select Unlock your phone and follow the on-screen instructions.
- For all other phones:
- Go to EE’s device unlock guide and follow the instructions. It will ask you for details about your plan, whether you meet all the requirements to be allowed to unlock your phone, and your personal account information to complete the process.
Pay as you go or Flex plans
- You can get a Pay as you go or Flex device unlocked as soon as I buy it from EE.
- First, ensure that the device is registered. To do so, call 150 from the phone.
- Once registered, go to EE’s device unlock guide and follow the instructions.
- If you’ve bought a second-hand phone that is locked to EE, call 150 from the device and speak to customer care.
- If you are calling from a landline or non-EE phone, dial 0800 956 6000. Select option 2 and then option 4. They will run a security check before providing unlocking instructions.
That’s all you need to know about how to unlock EE phones! Be sure to check out more U.K. content below.
More posts about UK
5G UK: Plans, phones, coverage, and everything else you need to know!
O2 UK review: Everything you need to know (July 2019)
Best Android phones in the UK (July 2019)
Where to buy phones in the UK: Unlocked and contract deals
Best UK mobile network: Picking the best UK mobile carrier
Vodafone UK review: Everything you need to know (July 2019)
Best phones under £200 in the UK (June 2019)
Best phones under £500 in the UK (June 2019)
What is Voxi? Vodafone’s new UK network and Endless Social Media explained!
EE UK network review: Everything you need to know (July 2019)
Three UK review: Everything you need to know (July 2019)
Best UK plans for international calling and travel
Powered by WPeMatico