After literally leaking for several months now, Google finally unveiled the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL earlier this week. Since both handsets went on pre-order immediately following the announcement, we decided to ask if you were going to purchase either of these stock Android smartphones or hold off for something else.
Google kicked off a trend two years ago with the original Pixel in which the larger and smaller of its two handsets wouldn’t have any spec differences except for the battery and screen size. This trend has continued through to the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL.
So while both flagships are pretty much identical all of the way down to the brand new glass back and wireless charging, the key difference between the two is the fact that there’s a display notch on the larger model.
Are you buying the Google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL?
We knew a lot of you weren’t fans of the Pixel 3 XL’s notch, but wow. Across all three of our polls, more than a majority of voters stated that they would not be buying the Pixel 3 or the Pixel 3 XL. An average of 65 percent of you said you don’t plan to buy either handset, 12 percent voted for the Pixel 3 XL, and 16 percent were interested in grabbing the smaller Pixel 3.
Looking through all of the comments, most of the hate for Google’s hardware is targeted at the larger of the two models. As expected, most of the comments were about the phone’s display notch while others focused on an outdated design and the phone’s price tag.
It’s pretty clear looking through all of the poll’s responses that people either want more features like those found on the Galaxy Note 9 if they’re going to pay so much or would rather buy a cheaper OnePlus 6.
Here are some of the comments from across the polls – many of which had similar themes:
- if they opened it to ALL carriers, maybe. I have an upgrade available on one line. If it had 6gb of RAM and was about 100 cheaper, i’d buy in. that would help me overlook that hideous notch.
- I’m buying the one with the headphone jack. What? Neither has a headphone jack? I’ll pass then.
- Im considering buying both and storing the Pixel 3 inside the notch of the Pixel3 XLSeriously; the XL is just too hideous to look at and the Pixel3 is too small.
- After I saw all the leaks, I went ahead and got the Note 9 instead of waiting for the Pixel. Looks like my choice is vindicated. Can’t stand the notch.
Read next: Google Pixel 3 XL vs Pixel 2 XL: Are Google’s new phones an upgrade?
But, of course, some people do like Google’s handsets:
- I pre-ordered the Pixel 3 XL today. A very positive hands on review from a former critic of the device and Google’s confirmation that the notch can be hidden in software made the sale for me.
That’s it for this week, everyone. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.
Powered by WPeMatico