You already invested in a good pair of headphones or earphones, why not just use those for exercise too? While you certainly can, your existing pair might not be water/sweatproof and honestly… do you really want to get your nice ‘every day’ headphones all grossed up by your workouts? We didn’t think so.
For those that are looking for quality workout earbuds, Lilly from Sound Guys breaks down the best options in great detail over at SoundGuys.com. Looking for a quicker read? We’ve broken down their selections below.
Best all-around: Jaybird X3
The X3 have a slimmer profile than the X2 or X and do a great job staying in your ears during a workout. If you’re looking for great workout earbuds, this is a great choice.
Reasons to consider the Jaybird X3:
- The X3 has a slimmer profile compared to the earlier X2 or X models.
- The X3 does a great job staying in your ears during a workout.
- The volume control module is freshly redesigned
- You can change EQ settings via Jaybird MySound app
- You can save your preferred profile to the headphones and apply them to whatever device you connect the X3 to
- Battery life is solid, but not spectacular, at eight hours
Best Fit: Bose SoundTrue Wireless
Need your earbuds to stay put while working out? The Bose SoundSport Wireless provide an excellent fit.
- The StayHear+ ear tips help to keep the earbuds in place
- The earbuds connect to each other via a wire with a clip attached to prevent them from jostling everywhere
- They are easy to pair with an option to use NFC
- They are sweat-resistant to withstand any workout
Best Design: Beats X
Beat X have excellent connectivity, rarely skipping a beat, and are outfitted with magnets at the end of each earpiece. This way you can connect them when not in use, hopefully reducing the chances of loss.
Reasons to consider the Beats X
- They have magnets at the end of each earpiece which can connect when not in use
- They have excellent connectivity, rarely skipping a beat
- They can be worn throughout the day or at the gym
Best Waterproof: Plantronics Backbeat FIT
IP57 rated, the Plantronics BackBeat FIT can be submerged to depths of one meter for up to 30 minutes. For general moisture, the oleophobic nano-coating helps to wick away sweat from the silicone housing.
Reasons to consider the Plantronics BackBeat FIT:
- The oleophobic nano-coating helps to wick away sweat from the silicone housing
- IP57 rated for dust and water resistance, can be submerged to depths of one meter for up to 30 minutes
- Volume can get very high, up to a recorded 105 dB
- Includes the 12 PEAR Personal Coach app along with a 6-month membership to PEAR+
Best true wireless earbuds: JLab Epic Air
The JLab Epic Air are the only truly wireless earbuds included on the list. The ear-hook design often polarizes users, but with the Epic Air, they stay secure. No amount of shaking, jumping or whatever kind of cardio is your chosen mode of torture will get these to fly out.
Reasons to consider the JLab Epic Air:
- Ear-hook design keeps the earbuds secure, no matter how much you move during exercise
- The touch controls work flawlessly
Why you should Sound Guys
The Sound Guys team has a lot of experience in audio and personally test each and every product that makes it into the best list, as well as dozens that don’t. The options listed above were curated by SoundGuys’ newest member, Lilly.
While she has only been with the Sound Guys team for a little while now, she has a previous background working in a college radio station for three years, where she racked up countless hours with studio-level microphones, headphones, speakers and recording software. All the while, deepening her understanding of the technical side of audio.
Lily is a passionate audiophile and great addition to the Sound Guys (and Android Authority) family.
Powered by WPeMatico